Thursday, March 5, 2009

Vegan Peanut Butter Blondies!

Oooh. These are good!

After hours of scouring for a recipe with no luck, I decided to adapt and improvise. For the non vegan recipe this is modeled after click here.  

A few tips before we get started.
1.  Use a fork to mix the peanut butter and the butter.  It works incredibly better than the wisk.  I ended up using a fork to mix the entire recipe.
2.  I used an 8x4 pan, lined with foil, for this.  I know it's not the traditional size, but it's what I have.  My cooking time reflects that size pan, so you may need to back off a few minutes if you're using a larger one.
3.  Line the pan and sides with a piece of foil so you can pull it out without needing a spatula when it's done cooking.  Super easy.

Now the recipe-

You'll need
  • 5 Tbsp. Earth Balance or other vegan butter
  • 1/2 Cup peanut butter
  • 1 Cup vegan brown sugar
  • 2 Bananas
  • 1/2 Cup plain vegan milk
  • 1 Tsp. agave or vanilla
  • 1/4 Tsp. salt
  • 1 Cup flour
  • 1/2 Tsp. baking powder
  • 1 Cup vegan chocolate chips
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Start by melting the butter in the microwave, it should take about 30 seconds.
3.  In a large bowl use a fork to mix the butter and the peanut butter.  When the mixture is creamy and smooth mix in the brown sugar.  
4.  Squish one banana between your fingers to make it easier to mix and add it to the bowl.
5.  Add the milk and sweetener and mix everything until it's creamy.
6.  Add the powdered ingredients and mix until it has the texture of smooth cookie dough.  If it is still lumpy or dry after a thorough mix add milk one tablespoon at a time.
7.  Fold in chocolate chips.
8.  Taste.
9.  Taste again.  That's good, huh?
10.  Pour batter into the pan and smooth the top.
11.  Put in the oven and let cook for 15 minutes.
12.  Cut the other banana into 1/4 inch slices.
13.  When the oven timer goes off, pull the pan out and push the banana slices into the top.
14.  Let cook for another 10-15 minutes.
15.  Pull out and let cool.

That wasn't hard, was it?  If  I would have known that vegan baking was this easy I would have started a looooong time ago.  Post any questions you have in the comments section.

2 comments:

  1. Darn. I ate all my vegan chocolate chips last week.

    Could I omit the chips and use turbinado sugar instead of brown? I'm new to baking vegan sweets. I have some kind of fear of sugar.

    Also, what kind of milk do you recommend? I usually bake bread with oat milk would that work for these blondies? if not I could whip up some almond milk...

    If I bake it in a 9 x 13" pan how long should I cook it?

    Ok, thanks for your time I hope you have some input.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a vegan, but a vegetarian. But I am going to try this recipe, it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete